Baby blanket for a friend's friend's grandchild

Uma asked me to make a baby blanket as she wanted to gift her friend's grandchild (when he or she arrived) with something 'different'. Coincidentally, Usha had just then worked on these beautiful bird templates on paper. She gave me a lovely kit with two plump bird patterns. For the first time, I actually ventured to draw the tree and branches etc myself. Only the leaves are stuffed. I also hand-quilted the three or actually four layers, the middle layer being two layers of an old cotton sari of Ma's) with huge kantha stitches. The quilting came out very neat with no crumpling up of fabric in the back. Thanks to the sari layers, the quilt really felt very soft and light and I am sure the baby will be warm and loved when wrapped in this.

Comments

Popular Posts